Is CBD Cream Good For Pain?
Are you experiencing aches and pain? Do you feel like over the counter creams and drugs aren’t helping? If yes, it may be time for you to make the switch to CBD pain cream.
Pain is a universal experience that we are all too familiar with. It is also an important one as it helps us know when we are sick or injured, but sometimes it becomes a sort of a nuisance when it just won’t go away.
Data from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) indicate that 20% of the US adult population (about 50 million) suffer from chronic pain.
This high prevalence and the lack of an effective remedy is becoming a problem. Pain can lower the quality of your life drastically, in addition to spending a lot of money on medication.
But the main problem is that some of the conventional medications do more harm than good. Most pain relievers are opioids, and when used over time, as people with chronic pain would, they may lead to dependence and addiction.
But do natural remedies such as CBD pain creams work?
Does CBD Cream Work For Pain?
CBD is the primary non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. Since the legalization of hemp in 2018, many people seeking relief from pain, anxiety, and inflammation have switched to using CBD for their conditions.
But does CBD pain cream work?
Yes, several studies found that the topical application of CBD may be useful in providing relief for chronic pain and inflammation.
Furthermore, a large percentage of Cannabidiol users report that CBD treats their conditions effectively, even in the absence of other treatments.
CBD pain creams work by targeting pain or inflammation at a localized part of the body, such as the joints or muscles.
Topical application means that CBD won’t enter the bloodstream and get circulated all over the body. Therefore, you should only use this method if the pain is near the skin.
One preclinical study published in the Journal of Pain found that CBD applied topically prevented pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis.
Another study also in a rat model found that CBD reduces inflammation and pain related to arthritis.
Studies on humans also indicate the same.
A 2020 study on CBD’s effectiveness in peripheral neuropathy found that CBD significantly reduced intense pain and sharp pain in patients with systematic peripheral neuropathy.
More studies in humans are, however, still required.
How To Use CBD Cream For Pain Relief?
CBD salves are applied directly to the skin. Here is how to use CBD pain creams in four easy steps:
- The first step is to identify the area where the pain is coming from or intense. CBD applied topically won’t enter the bloodstream, so ensure you get the right location.
- Carefully clean the skin around the problem area to remove dirt, other lotions or salves that may be blocking the pores or creating a layer over the skin. Dry the area before applying.
- After the area is clean and dry, put some CBD pain salve on one or two fingers, and apply it to the skin. Spread it in a circular motion around the area and massage it into the skin, ensuring an even layer.
- Wash your hands and wait for the results.
Because the skin has low permeability, you may have to apply another layer if the first results aren’t satisfactory.
Many people also worry about how quickly CBD creams work for pain. Topical effects usually kick in as early as 30 minutes and peak within 90 minutes.
Where To Buy CBD Cream For Pain Online?
CBD products are everywhere, online, in local stores, and even in gas stations.
Although it may seem more convenient to buy CBD creams in physical stores because you can touch the products, it is not always the best idea.
Most people prefer buying CBD pain creams online where there is a wide selection of products to compare, read reviews and ratings, and compare brands.
Buying CBD online gives you the chance to know other people’s experience with a product before you can purchase it.
Also, beware of cheap products. Some producers cut corners in their processing to undercut legitimate sellers. Such products may contain dangerous solvent residues or may be ineffective.
How To Choose The Best CBD Cream For Pain
There are a lot of CBD topicals in the market currently, each touted as the best solution for pain. But if you look a little deeper, you may come across disappointed customers.
So, how do you know what cream is effective for pain, and what is not? Here is how:
- The other ingredients matter too – Although CBD alone is enough for relaxing and battling aches and pains, most pain creams will also include other ingredients to bolster or complement the effects of Cannabidiol.
These ingredients will determine the level of relief.
Products that contain oils such as eucalyptus, peppermint, spearmint, arnica extracts, yarrow leaves, and white willow bark are generally more effective than those with CBD alone.
Other ingredients such as menthol bring other benefits such as cooling the skin, which brings further pain relief.
Checking the ingredients also helps you know if there is something that you may be allergic to or would rather avoid and if you are vegan, to ensure the products contain no animal-derived ingredients.
- Where and how is the hemp grown – The origin of ingredients matters. Always check if the company provides details on how and where the hemp they use is produced. For high quality and safe products, we recommend that you buy from brands that make their products from US grown hemp.
The how – Is the hemp organically grown? Is it GMO? The best products use organically grown non-GMO hemp.
- Is the product tested? – If it is, are the results available? Reputable companies always display their products’ independent lab testing results for the customer’s reference. These should test for THC compliance, heavy metals, and farming chemicals residues for safety.
- Strength – Although CBD dosage varies from person to person, always ensure that the product is potent enough to handle your level of pain and personal needs. Cross-check what is on the label with the third party results to be sure.
- Extraction method – Some extraction methods use dangerous solvents to extract CBD from hemp. Ensure the CBD you purchase is extracted using CO2 or ethanol extraction methods.
- Type of Hemp Extract – Is the cream made using full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or CBD isolate? Full-spectrum contains all the cannabinoids – including 0.3% THC, terpenes, and other plant compounds. Broad-spectrum is similar to full-spectrum, but without THC, CBD isolate only contains CBD.
CBD Pain Cream – Take Away
Studies and anecdotal reports have shown topical application of CBD to be effective in providing relief for pain and inflammation associated with several health issues.
By applying CBD lotions, you can target the location where the pain is originating from.
For maximum benefits, ensure you buy your CBD pain creams from reputable producers. Talk to your doctor before starting to use CBD, especially if you are on medication.